Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Director Jon Turteltaub are teaming up on The Sorcerer's Apprentice, an upcoming Disney family adventure movie starring Nicolas Cage and Jay Baruchel. It is a live action re-imagining of the famed Sorcerer's Apprentice segment in Disney's Fantasia, which in turn is based on the late 1890s symphonic poem by Paul Dukas and 1797 Johann Wolfgang Goethe ballad. The Sorcerer's Apprentice movie is scheduled for a release in Summer 2010.
Here below a first look at Nicolas Cage and Jay Baruchel respectively as the sorcerer Balthazar Blake and his new apprentice:
(Click on the picture to enlarge it.)
A few words from Actor Nicolas Cage about his role as the sorcerer in The Sorcerer's Apprentice:
"An average college student (Baruchel) is reluctantly recruited to work for a sorcerer (Cage), who gives him a crash course in the art and science of magic to prepare him for a battle against the forces of darkness in modern Manhattan."
- Nicolas Cage plays a sorcerer named Balthazar Blake.
- Jay Baruchel plays an average college student who becomes his apprentice.
- Teresa Palmer plays the love interest of Baruchel's character.
- Alfred Molina plays an evil magician named Horvath.
- Toby Kebbell plays a celebrity illusionist named Drake Stone, who joins forces with Horvath.
- Monica Bellucci plays a sorceress named Veronica, the long-lost love of Balthazar Blake.
If Director Jon Tuteltaub and Nicolas Cage are postponing National Treasure 3 because of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, I suppose they're confident that this movie will be a success. I must admit that I'm not much thrilled by the plot (nothing really new, it kinda sounds like The Forbidden Kingdom transposed to Manhattan...), but knowing Nicolas Cage is in it I can but give a try to the movie The Sorcerer's Apprentice! I'm even more willing to give a try after seeing Nicolas Cage with so much hair!